Saturday, October 18, 2008

Special Education

Special education is a form of schooling I strongly feel you must be born to teach. I do not believe just anyone can do this. It is a difficult job that involves much patience, caring and understanding for your students. In my family, among a few teachers present, there is a special education one. He has been teaching in this field for about ten years now and absolutely loves his job. Like his students, he looks forward to seeing them everyday and they rely on his presence to help them learn and grow intellectually. Although he enjoys what he does, he admits it is draining for him and says you must be truly committed to this form of work. I have thought about teaching special ed, but I believe it would be too much for me to handle. I am afraid of the emotional attachment I would develop with the students and as a result, I feel this may prevent me in performing to the best of my abilities. Even after being exposed to some information on it, I do not feel it is the right field of education for me. I have spoken to my parents about it and afterwards, I knew I could not see the children like that on a daily basis because it would just make me too upset. For those that are teaching special ed, I have the utmost respect for them. I believe they are very special people who God gives the strength to make a difference in the lives of many children. They realize these children are like any other student who just need a little more asssistance in learning. To see these children, in particular, progress toward success in their studies must be one of the most rewarding experiences in life. To accomplish this, these children need extremely dedicated individuals to teach them, who I know are out in this world and will do a wonderful job doing so. Children are one of God's most special gifts and we must always be there for them, especially in education.

"Exceptional human beings must be given exceptional educational treatment, treatment which takes into account their special difficulties. Further, we can show that despite abnormality, human beings can fulfill their social role within the community, especially if they find understanding, love and guidance.” - Hans Asperger

2 comments:

Elena said...

What a great post Kristina! I feel the same way, that special education teachers are a unique breed of people. My boyfriend is studying to be one, and though I myself want to be a teacher, I admire him because I know I do not have the patience and strength to teach special ed. I think it is amazing to see the great variety in teaching styles and to see a teacher that truly loves their job no matter what they teach. Every person has their own distinct talents and strengths, and when a teacher finds a way to bring those into his or her classroom it benefits all their students. No matter what you decide to teach the most important thing is to embrace your own special personality and skills and use them to create a positive and energizing learning environment!

Dr. Luongo said...

I also agree that special education teachers are special individuals. However, I think you are *ALL* exceptional people to want to break into any field of education. Educators care. And, I can see you all care.

Each one of you will find your niche. You will find that one student that you truly touch. that

Some of you will be great English teachers; others will end up being excellent social workers or prinicipals (yes, principals!).

No matter what, though, you will show how much you care by helping children.

Thank you for your wise words!