Friday, September 19, 2008

Fairness in Assessment

Fairness in Assessment is a complex topic for me to speak about. The reason for this is I believe teachers have many different ways of assessing their students. I feel there are more formal assessments than others, but there is no single correct way of assessing students. For example, teachers may work better giving students tests and essays while another teacher may prefer oral presentations and class discussions. I believe every teacher is different and unique in his/her own way and they assess their students according to their students' individual needs. Since no class will be the exact same, the types of assessment will vary. As a child in elementary school, I was primarily assessed through tests and projects, as well as class work and participation. As I went to high school, class discussions oral presentations were added on to that. Now in college, I am being assessed in a variety of ways by each individual professor. Although I feel every teacher has their own way of assessing, I do believe they should adhere to certain guidelines such as: making sure to have rubrics for assignments to explain to students, parents and administrators. I feel if they have standards and follow them diligently, then they are assessing their students fairly. I also believe students' progress is a sign of "good" or fair assessment. Their "pro" or "de" gression will allow the teacher to modify his/her assessment techniques and help to serve the students better. The main idea teachers must keep in mind is "students" - it's all about them. If they conduct their class accordingly, they will do a great job in fulfilling what is means to be a teacher.

1 comment:

Jaclyn said...

I bet all of us can relate to your years of assessment. It really does depend on the student and how they react to certain things. Before Dr. Luongo's class, I used to dispose of rubrics like they were useless. Now that she's introduced such an importance, I agree with it being such an important aspect on the fairness of an assessment. How can a teacher grade something without guidelines? Great post :]